PHP Login System with Admin Features

This forum was created to talk about the PHP Login System with admin features created by jpmaster77 on evolt's website

Combine login script with phpbb

kevinp

Number of posts : 5
    Registration date : 2008-01-11

Combine login script with phpbb

Post  kevinp on Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:09 pm

Hi,

I've installed your login script quite successfully on my website at a basic level. I'd like to use it with the phpbb database in my forum section so that there is only one login event. That is, members who arrive at the home page can login there, and that login is valid through to the forum and chat areas.

Also, I'd like to use the groups facility of the phphbb database to control page access in other areas of the website.

In setting up, I added the Users table for the lgin script to the phpbb database and that works fine. But I'm not sure how to integrate the two.

Any help very much appreciated.

site is here: http://www.bornstorytellers.net

Thanks,

Kevin
    Linchpin311

Number of posts : 220
    Registration date : 2007-05-14

Re: Combine login script with phpbb

Post  Linchpin311 on Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:38 pm

This is an interesting idea...i like it!

The php login system is a highly adaptive and expandable script, but i dont think phpbb was ever intended to be used along with it. Now (correct me if im wrong..) they are both open source so i am not saying this would be impossible, just a good challenge if you're willing to put in the effort. What is your level of experience in php? Also, let me know which features of the php login script you wanted to combine with phpbb and ill see if i can help you out some.

Also note that it is your responsibility to die() if necessary.

kevinp

Post  kevinp on Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:16 pm

Hi Linchpin,

Thanks for picking this up. My knowledge of php/mysql is very scant to say the least. But being a financially challenged writer and teacher of writing, I have had to figure out how to do most things coding myself, or call on the generosity of others. However, I'm willing to learn.

My website is for school aged children, their parents and their teachers to use as a base for resources of the writing program I teach. It has a number of public area pages for the purpose of promoting the program.

Then there are a number of 'student access pages'. This is the reason why I needed a login script with access control.

I work in a number of different schools. Students are enroled in different school 'groups', and students enroled in group A can't access the course areas of the other groups. I haven't established this access 'barring' yet, but it applies to the pages within the 'Storytellers Online' area. Then there are other pages where all enroled students can access, but not general public ('games' for example).

I want the students to have a forum area for developing their community, thus the inclusion of phpbb and flashchat. Flashchat is already integrated with the phpbb, but it came with a script to enable that to be achieved, so I didn't have to think about it too much.

Within the forum area, I want students to access all areas of the forum, but I also want them to have forum areas that correspond to the 'school groups' and therefore barring access to members outside that specific group.

Apart from student access, I need to be able to lock off admin areas of the site to keep student records safe.

That's the long answer to what features I want to integrate...

The short answer perhaps is:

The username and password should be common, so that login script acts for all login requirements, sitewide.

The phpbb groups should control access to course areas of storytellers online'.

Banned users and current users should also be common.

Thanks for your interest,

Kevin
    Linchpin311

Post  Linchpin311 on Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:13 am

this is definately a project! i just have two quick questions before we begin...

1) i have used phpbb maybe a couple of times so i am somewhat familar how it works, but in order to make the modifications to it i need to download it again. which version do you have on your site, i want to get the same version as you.

2) what is your time frame here? i love to write new scripts and help people out when i can, but i am a full time student with a part time job with a small web design business on the side so scheduling my time is important to me. if you need this by a certain deadline i would advise you to seek professional help who can meet your needs on time.

kevinp

Post  kevinp on Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:36 pm

Thanks for the questions linchpin.

The version is phpbb2.022 ... Although, I'm wondering if I should update to V3.0 before I get it populated.

Timeframe is not particularly critical. Students can use a dual login system, and I can manage their data in a separate table and combine them later.

Cheers,

Kevin

kevinp

Post  kevinp on Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:41 am

I've decided to install version 3.0 -- It seems to offer much more by way of design flexibility.

K
    Linchpin311

Post  Linchpin311 on Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:14 pm

not to make you think ive forgotten...

i downloaded phpbb3 earlier today and have spent the better part of my night looking at code. Very Happy

ill get back to you when ive made some sort of progress on the subject!

Linchpin311

Post  Linchpin311 on Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:06 pm

well im sorry to tell you this but after a few days of tinkering around with phpbb and the login script i am having trouble integrating the two. they dont seem to want to play nice together. when trying to join features of the two either i get a fatal phpbb error, or the login script wont operate correctly.

i am currently working an idea that'll take some of the features of the login system and put them into a new script im currently writing to see what this does.

i'll keep you posted...

kevinp

Post  kevinp on Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:44 pm

Thanks,

I don't understand why we can't just point login script to phpbb users and have it act on that table instead of its own users table.
    Linchpin311

Post  Linchpin311 on Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:00 am

phpbb is much more complexed than jpmasters login script, and not to down jpmaster, but phpbb is written by a team of professionals who write, work on and maintain a very good forum script.

after working with these two scripts trying to combine them i realized that phpbb is totally capable of giving you everything you want with a little modification (nothings easy right... Wink ).

i posted in phpbb's forum here (im eruckus) if you want to take a look. this is still an interesting topic and im sure you and i are going to have a good use for these mods, but i feel you should follow further questions and answers regarding this topic at phpbb's forums.

horse

Number of posts : 2
    Registration date : 2009-02-27

Post  horse on Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:31 am

Did you get this working in the end?

I have gotten it working to a point, but it seems to get confused and the sessions seem to lose sync so you are logged into one but not the other, most frustrating.
    Linchpin311

Post  Linchpin311 on Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:57 pm

Ultimately, the right way of doing this would be to alter phpbb's tables to include more fields (age, sex, location, etc.) and let phpbb's session control the login status of your site.

phpbb's support forums are just plain awesome and i am pretty sure there are a bunch of posts on this subject. check it out, you should be able to find what you are looking for.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:41 am